Hungarian (Budapest 1896 – Paris 1967)
Landau's career began in 1918 with Franz Xaver Setzer in Vienna, then with Rudolf Dührkoop in Berlin in 1919. That same year she returned to Hungary, and opened her own portrait studio, where Thomas Mann and Làszló Moholy-Nagy were posed. With the pressure of the Horthy regime she moved to Paris in 1924. Influenced by the new industrial techniques, she photographed machinery (Metal) with a Rolleiflex camera. Her work was dynamic and characteristic of La Nouvelle Vision: close cropping, contrast of forms, shadows and light – the Sprinkler; Chair and Shadow. It is, however, in nude photography that she excelled: Woman washing, Back of child in tub (before 1928). She participated in all the important shows (Film und Foto, Stuttgart, 1929, Das Lichtbild, Munich, 1930) and published regularly in Arts et Metiers graphiques, Arts et Medecine and Paris magazine. Her work was exhibited in La Nouvelle Photographie en France (Poitiers, 1986). The Niepce Museum in Chalon-sur-Saône gave her a solo show in 1988.